Tarragon – Mexican

mexicantarragonTarragon has a pleasing, anise-like flavor.  Mexican tarragon can be used as a substitute for the more widely used French tarragon, but the Mexican variety is supposedly easier to grow.  Let’s see how this plant does in the simple hydroponics system.

Jan 7, 2016 = Day 0.  Plants started from seed (Botanical Interests).  Seeds sowed in 1.5-inch rockwool cube in 2-inch net-pot.  Moistened with dilute fertilizer solution: 1 mL (1/5 tsp) Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow, 1 mL pH Down per gallon of tap water.  Nutrient concentrations (in ppm):  N 18, P 24, K 13, Ca 5, Mg 1, S 0.13, Fe 0.26, Mn 0.13, B 0.05, Zn 0.13, Cu 0.13, Mo 0.002, Ni 0.0003, Co 0.004.  pH = 6.0.

Jan 11, 2016 = Day 4.  Plant germinated, placed directly under a fluorescent light (2 ft. T8 bulb, 17W, 6500k) for 16 hours per day.

IMG_20160116_134021076
Jan 16, 2016 = Day 9
IMG_20160125_104827141
Jan 25, 2016 = Day 18

Jan 29, 2016 = Day 22.  Installed plant into 0.5-gallon glass jar.  Hydroponic solution composed of 0.5 gal tap water, 3 mL Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow.  Nutrient concentrations (in ppm): N 111, P 143, K 79, Ca 32, Mg 8, S 0.8, Fe 1.6, Mn 0.8, B 0.3, Zn 0.8, Cu 0.8, Mo 0.01, Ni 0.002, Co 0.024.  pH = 6.0.  No pH adjustment required.

IMG_20160206_131807439 (1)
Feb 6, 2016 = Day 30

Feb 11, 2016 = Day 35.  Transferred plant to indoor grow room, where it gets 9 hours LED light per day, plus 3 hours of sunlight.

IMG_20160220_142626705 (1)
Feb 20 = Day 44

Mar 1 = Day 54.  Based on information obtained in this post and this post, it seems that the pH of the Liquid Grow-based hydroponic solution tends to drop below 4.0 by the end of the growing period, which is not ideal for nutrient uptake.  Therefore, I have switched to a Masterblend-based solution.  Nutrient concentrations (in ppm):  N 103, P 95, K 202, Ca 100, Mg 29, S 34, Fe 2.1, Mn 1.1, B 1.1, Zn 0.3, Cu 0.3, Mo 0.05, Si 4.  pH = 6.0.

IMG_20160309_135558884 (1)
Mar 9 = Day 62
IMG_20160309_135720792 (1)
Mar 9 = Day 62.  Plant is flowering.

Mar 16 = Day 69.  Trimmed all flowers off plant.  Began harvesting leaves.  Tips of lower leaves were starting to burn, so I moved the plant back to the less-intense fluorescent lights (2 ft. T8 bulb, 17W, 6500k) for 16 hours per day.

Apr 5 = Day 89.  Harvested some of the leaves, pruned back plant significantly.  Plant is not growing much these days.  Added 2 cups fresh hydroponic fluid.

IMG_20160407_170826699 (1)
Apr 7 = Day 91

Apr 17 = Day 101.  Harvested all remaining leaves.  Total water usage = 7 cups (0.44 gal).

IMG_20160417_145203318
Apr 17 = Day 101

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s