Jun 6, 2016 = Day 0. Plant started from seed (Baker Creek). Seeds sowed in 1.5-inch rockwool cube in 2-inch net-pot. Moistened with dilute fertilizer solution: 1.2 mL (1/4 tsp) Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow, 0.8 mL pH Down per gallon of tap water. Nutrient concentrations (in ppm): N 22, P 29, K 16, Ca 6, Mg 1.6, S 0.2, Fe 0.3, Mn 0.2, B 0.1, Zn 0.2, Cu 0.2, Mo 0.003, Ni 0.0003, Co 0.005. pH = 6.0.
Jun 15 = Day 0. Started 3 new seeds, since the first 2 seeds did not germinate. Based on the fact that I started with a packet of 35 seeds, and the first 2 seeds did not germinate, the maximum viability of the seeds is 27/35, or 77%. Learn more about calculating seed viability on the Seed Storage page.
Jun 25 = Day 10. 1 seed has germinated, placed directly under a fluorescent light (2 ft. T8 bulb, 17W, 6500k) for 16 hours per day.
Jul 13 = Day 28. Starting to let this plant have a few hours of outdoor exposure, to toughen up the plant.
Jul 15 = Day 30. Plant is now outside all of the time, receiving 4-5 hours sunlight per day.
Jul 17 = Day 32. Installed plant into a 5-gallon bucket. Hydroponic solution composed of 5 gal (18.9 L) tap water, 10 g Masterblend 4-18-38, 10 g calcium nitrate, 5 g magnesium sulfate, 1 mL Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt, 5 mL pH Down. Nutrient concentrations (in ppm): N 103, P 95, K 202, Ca 100, Mg 29, S 34, Fe 2.1, Mn 1.1, B 1.1, Zn 0.3, Cu 0.3, Mo 0.05, Si 4. pH = 6.0.
Aug 13 = Day 59. Some hornworms (very small) are found on the plant. Entire plant is sprayed with a solution of BT, diluted in water (5 mL BT per liter).
Aug 25 = Day 71. Lower leaves showing some signs of powdery mildew, so spraying as needed with diluted horticultural oil (1 tbsp oil diluted into 1 quart water in a spray bottle).
Sep 4 = Day 81. Container was getting light, so I added 1 gallon of fresh hydroponic fluid.
Sep 11 = Day 88. Added 1.25 gallon of fresh hydroponic fluid.
Sep 12 = Day 89. Plant is battling some powdery mildew and is losing some lower leaves as a result. This plant is still developing several peppers.
Sep 21 = Day 98. This Lipstick pepper plant is looking poor, lots of leaves are falling off due to powdery mildew. Even though the peppers are not fully ripe yet (have not changed color), I chose to harvest all of the remaining peppers (8) at this time. These Lipstick peppers, combined with my Snapper and Orange Bell peppers, will be used to make one large batch of Stuffed Peppers.
Stuffed Peppers recipe: Cut peppers in half, remove seeds. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes, then set upside down on paper towels to drain. To make the filling, brown 1 lb ground beef, drain the fat, add sauteed onion and garlic. Add herbs and spices, such as oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper. Add 1 cup tomato sauce and 2 cups cooked white rice, mix it all together. Load the filling into the pepper halves. Cook at 375F for 15 minutes, then top with cheese and put back into oven until cheese melts.
Sep 22 = Day 108. Plant was discarded at this time. Total fluid used = 5.25 gallons.