I recently moved into a condo, and there is plenty of room to do some growing out on the balcony. The balcony faces east, so it gets a lot of direct sunlight from sunrise until about 1-2 PM. The balcony gets quite warm, so I will grow some plants that like the heat: peppers!
I grew Golden Marconi peppers a few years ago, and the yield and taste were very good. I will also grow the Snapper variety, which is another bell pepper variety. Neither of these peppers are considered ‘hot’.
Jun 19 = Day 0. Plants started from seed: Golden Marconi (Baker Creek), Snapper (Park Seed). Seeds (3) sowed into one 1.5 inch rockwool cube in 2 inch net-pot. Moistened with Seedling Blend, a dilute blend of fertilizers. N-P-K (in ppm): 22-29-16. Covered with plastic wrap until seeds have germinated.
Jun 29 = Day 10. Seeds are germinating. Placed in a sunny window for 4 hours per day, and then under a fluorescent light (spiral bulb, 23W, color = 6500k) for 8 hours per day. The bulb emits a lot of heat, so the bulb is positioned 7-8 inches above the plants.
Jul 9 = Day 20. Plants transferred to small plastic jars containing 3 cups of Regular-Strength Blend. N-P-K (in ppm): 103-95-202.
The plants receive about 4 hours of sunlight in the morning, and then they are supplemented with a fluorescent light bulb for an additional 8 hours in the afternoon. My set-up is not fancy, I just use a clip-on light from my local hardware store.
Jul 19 = Day 30. Installed plants into 5-gallon buckets containing Regular-Strength Blend. N-P-K (in ppm): 103-95-202. The plants are placed outside on my balcony. I have been putting them outside for a few hours each day to try to harden them up, but they still tend to wilt in full sun, so I will use a 70% shade cloth for the first few weeks.
Aug 7 = Day 49. The plants are growing quickly now, and are starting to produce flowers. Since the plants are starting to get tall, garden tape was used to secure them to the metal cages. I took the shade cloth off the plants to expose them to full sun, but my outdoor growing location is just too hot (90-100 °F), and all leaves became wilted within 1 hour! So I reinstalled the shade cloth, and the plants are OK now.
Aug 26 = Day 68. The plants are getting tall, so the shade cloth was completely removed. There are several flowers on each of the plants. Upon lifting the buckets, I can tell that there is very little fluid remaining, so I added fresh fluid (Regular-Strength Blend) to each plant: Golden Marconi (1 gallon), Snapper (1.5 gallons).
Aug 30 = Day 72. Added Regular-Strength Blend (1.5 gallons) to each plant.
Sep 3 = Day 76. Added Regular-Strength Blend (2 gallons) to each plant.
Sep 12 = Day 85. Added Regular-Strength Blend (2 gallons) to each plant. Lots of peppers are now developing on both plants.
Sep 20 = Day 93. Added Regular-Strength Blend (1.5 gallons) to each plant.
Sep 30 = Day 103. Added Regular-Strength Blend to each plant: Golden Marconi (2.5 gallons), Snapper (1.5 gallons). A few of the Golden Marconi peppers were showing signs of sunscald (too much direct sun exposure), so any exposed peppers were loosely wrapped in foil to prevent further sun damage.